Our goal is to increase residents and visitors of all ages, understanding and appreciation of south Puget Sound and willingness to make personal changes in behavior to protect our marine and estuary environments. We provide numerouse learning opportunities:
– the Beach Naturalist program, offered at local beaches during summer low tides at all Thurston County public beaches - Tolmie State Park, Burfoot, Priest Point , West Bay and Fry Cove. Schedule posted on our webpage: www.sseacenter.org, click on Beach Naturalist.
- the fall/winter “Discovery” Speaker Series, offering presentations on a variety of water related topics.
- First Fridday of each month, year round, night time underwater viewing of marine life called Pier Peer at Boston Harbor Marina.
- our yearly on-the-water fundraiser “Cruising for the Sound”,
- educational booths at community events,fairs, and festivals, presentations to local service groups and clubs and
- South Sound Estuarium, a marine life discovery center, had aquariums, estuary/marine focused interactive interpretive exhibits, marine lab and classroom space at 309 State Ave. NE, Olympia.
Seeking volunteers in all program areas.
Benefits of becoming a SSEA volunteer:
- Improved knowledge of Puget Sound intertidal flora and fauna species
- Training provided by some of the leading experts in the field
- Improved skills in interpretation for public audiences
- Marketable job experience for resumes
- Valuable professional networking with partnering organizations
- Potential trips to Seattle Aquarium & local zoos and aquariums and other training opportunities.
- Oh and don’t forget it’s Fun!
To volunteer contact center@sseacenter and let us know your interest.